Wednesday, October 17, 2012

An Open Letter to the Woman on the Bus

It's been a little over 2 months in the new city now. Not a day has passed by when I did not remember New Orleans, my first home in this country. Getting some free time (an extreme rarity for most grad students), I was revisiting my write-ups and found this open letter I had written in 2010; still valid, still very much a source of motivation for me. Read on!


THE LADY ON THE BUS
12:17 PM, route 39, NORTA. That’s where I saw you. More than once. That is the route and time you must take to work. And that's what I used to take some days to reach school. You were one of the many faces I used to see regularly on the bus. I remember you sat on one of the front seats. But what I remember you the most for is your kind heart.
That day, like many other days, a young AA lady got on the bus with a child. She was probably not ready to be a mother – mentally, emotionally, financially and, not to mention, physically. She was like many other young mothers of the city, overwhelmed by the responsibilities of motherhood, by the responsibilities of nurturing another life, another whole individual. And while she did all that, she likely didn’t have enough support from her family or husband (if she was married) or the child’s father (if he still was a part of her life). She held her baby on her waist and got on the bus. The driver naturally asked her for $1.25 for the fare. She couldn’t give the $0.25 of it, I’m not sure why, maybe she was short on cash, maybe she didn’t have change, I don’t know. But she needed a quarter. And you gave it to her. You immediately reached for your little purse, for change, and handed her the quarter. Did you know her? Most likely not. Did you expect to get those 25 cents back? Umm, no.
You and the other women of New Orleans are like women in India, (some a pivotal part of my life), working hard, making sure your families get what they want, bearing the hardships of bus travel, changing buses to get to work daily, giving their best at work, returning home in those very buses and attending to the house work, anticipating and sometimes even bearing husbands’ abuses and then getting ready for another similar day the next morning. During all this, what keeps you going is something I may never understand. What drives you to get out of bed and be ready to face the day is out of the reach of my imagination. Maybe the day I realize what this force is, I will respect you all even more. And that would also make me feel more awe for the Maker who has presented you with the strength. For such a woman, $0.25 is probably an hour worth of work. Giving it to a stranger or an almost stranger with no surety of getting it back or seeing the person ever again, is something that only the kindest heart can do. I believe I have a kind heart and this gesture came as a surprise for me. Thinking about this gesture even today stings my eyes and I feel a tear or two flowing down my face. And I wouldn’t want this tear to ever stop shaping up.
I feel you can never be kind enough and that there is always room for being slightly kinder. Also there are a million ways to be kind and compassionate. You showed me one of those. I don’t know what your name is or where you live. You don’t know me, may not even know I exist. So writing this letter, which will never ever be seen by you, seems pointless. But I am sure of one thing and that is my Maker knows the contents of my letter. And He will definitely convey my feelings and sincere gratitude to you, in His own special manner. Thank you so much the woman on the bus for being so kind and caring, for showing me one newer way to be kind, for giving something to this world, for having touched me enough to bring a tear to my eye. I can never forget you, I can never forget what you did, and I can never forget the impact it has had on me. I cannot tell how, at this moment, but this has definitely contributed to the growth of my soul. I might know eventually and that day I will thank you once again, for a specific reason. Until then, all I can say is, you may not know how you touch someone’s life by a mere act of kindness. So continue to be kind and giving. You are terrific and please be so forever.
My bestest wishes for you!
Thanks once again. :)