Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Telepathy - My Take


TELEPATHY
Communication from one mind to another by extrasensory means”; that is how the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the term. 
Well the dictionary also defines the term God. But it doesn’t mean everybody believes in Him. It also doesn’t mean that everybody perceives Him exactly the same. Same goes with telepathy. Here are my thoughts on the concept.

The law of Conservation of Energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time; energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed/transferred. When I marry this law with the sentiment of telepathy, I come up with a reasonable rationalization behind the phenomenon that is telepathy. (#Nerd Alert!)

Put simply, telepathy is when I think of someone and they know I’m thinking of them. The terms ‘think’ and ‘know’ need some explanation in this context.
Think – in the context of telepathy, this thought of someone should be subconscious, involuntary and might even take you by surprise. You cannot decide "I wish to have telepathy with this person today"; nobody can do that (maybe psychics?). Ever so often I find myself thinking about a person from my past -  schoolmate, colleague, vegetable vendor, grocery store owner, friend, cousin, lady I met in the bus, teacher/professor, senior in school/college I’ve never spoken to, parent of a friend, friend of a friend, neighbor, past crush, school auto driver, a patient, a patient’s relative….. I don’t consciously think about them but still they come to mind. The ‘thinking’ can range from a fleeting thought to a constant perception of their presence throughout the day (not sure what determines one from the other, maybe how much I am/have been influenced by them?). And as a principle I remember them in my bedtime prayers, including a small segment for them in addition to my routine prayers. That’s not all. When you pray, when you think, you send out vibrations/energies/waves out there into the universe (which here is our isolated system) unknowingly of course. And if the law of conservation of energy was to hold true, this quantum is not supposed to be destroyed. According to me, this energy is perceived by the person in question. And the prayers that I say for them, well, He notes them and acts according to His will :)
This brings me to the next term that needs elaboration – ‘know’, as in “they know I’m thinking of them”. In order to discuss this, let me become the person being thought about. So when someone somewhere thinks of me, how do I know? Maybe in the form of the fleeting thought or constant perception mentioned above, maybe by my crappy day suddenly seeing its highlight, maybe by me being able to catch the bus when both of us are late ;) and many other ways which I am oblivious to yet. That is what makes it so special; the energies you receive may not necessarily be perceived. We need to learn to identify these energy packets sent to us. Trust me; each day would be special because on your darkest day you will realize there is no such thing as ‘does anybody really care’. People care for you, they love you.

And this brings me further to what we do once we realize we just experienced ‘telepathy’ with someone. Praying certainly works. In your prayers, say good things about them (be sincere!), wish good for them and remember happy moments spent with them. Writing down or saying out loud your wishes for them is another way. And most importantly, wherever possible, make contact; text them, call them, email them, write on their facebook wall, send them a ‘missing you’ or a ‘thinking of you’ greeting; nothing lifts the spirits better than knowing someone somewhere is thinking of you. What are the other things you can do once you realize?

For now, go ahead, make life lovely, yours and theirs. It's so easy to love the people you love!